Time To First Hello World (TTFHW) is 4 minutes.
This article is a hands-on introduction to several ARTIK Cloud concepts we covered in Basics. We will connect a simulated device to ARTIK Cloud that sends and receives data. In doing so, you'll get a tangible understanding of ARTIK Cloud without writing a single line of code.
We will also demonstrate some ARTIK Cloud tools that you'll be using often. This diagram shows how the ARTIK Cloud entities interact in this Hello World exploration (click to expand).
Step 1: Create a new device type
Go to the Developer Dashboard to create a private device type.
- Sign into the ARTIK Cloud Developer Dashboard. If you don't have an ARTIK Cloud Account, you can create one at this step.
- Click "+ New Device Type".
- Name this device type "Flame Sensor" and give it a unique name such as "com.example.iot.flame". Note the characters
"are not allowed.
- Click "Create Device Type".
Now let's create a Manifest for our "Flame Sensor" device type.
- On the Manifest page for "Flame Sensor", click "+ New Manifest".
- Enter "onFire" as the Field Name and "Boolean" for Data Type.
- Click "Save", and then click on the "Activate Manifest" tab. (We will bypass Actions for this example.)
- Activate this Manifest.
A Simple Manifest is automatically approved.
Do not publish this device type, since it is for tutorial purposes only.
Step 2: Log in and connect a device
Log into My ARTIK Cloud.
Now connect a "Flame Sensor" device to ARTIK Cloud (check that the device type unique name matches what you created in Step 1).
You do not need a real device to perform the connection.
- If this is your first time using My ARTIK Cloud, you will be asked to connect your first device. Type "Flame Sensor" into the search box. This calls up the device type "Flame Sensor".
- Name the flame sensor device you are connecting to ARTIK Cloud (e.g., "My Flame Sensor Device").
- Click "Connect Device…"
Step 3: Launch the Online Device Simulator
At My ARTIK Cloud, navigate to the Devices page and click "Show Simulator". The Online Device Simulator opens in the right sidebar.
Click "Select A Device" and choose "My Flame Sensor Device", which you just connected. Select the
onFire data field to simulate. In the next window, you can define a data pattern and time interval that makes sense for the simulated data type.
Now we're ready to start the simulation! Click "Start Simulation".
Step 4: Visualize the data
To visualize the data sent to ARTIK Cloud by the Online Device Simulator, click "View Your Data" in the left sidebar.
Click the "+/- CHARTS" button and check the
onFire data field.
Now you can view your simulation data in real-time!
You can also click "DATA LOGS" to view and sort the individual messages sent.
Stop your simulation by entering
stop followed by the "Enter" key in the Simulator. You can also enter
? for more help.
Now you have a feel for the ARTIK Cloud basics: creating a device type, connecting a device (as an instance of its device type), sending data to ARTIK Cloud, and viewing and visualizing that data.
We bypassed device Actions in this example. Read this tutorial to learn how you can define and send Actions to a device type.