The Developer Dashboard and My ARTIK Cloud provide an easy, intuitive way for you to assess and modify your applications, devices, organization, and pricing plan. This article walks you through their primary features.
Both web tools require an ARTIK Cloud Account. Follow these steps to create an account after logging into either tool for the first time.
Create an ARTIK Cloud Account
- Click the "SIGN UP" button at the top of the developer site.
- Fill out the required fields on the next page. Note the password character requirements.
- You will be sent an activation email. Click the link to complete your registration.
- Now you can sign into ARTIK Cloud!
If you have an existing Samsung, Google or Naver account, sign up for an ARTIK Cloud Account using the same email address to link your existing account to your new account.
Inside the Developer Dashboard
The Developer Dashboard is located at the ARTIK Cloud developer site. Click "My Account" in the top navigation.
Creating an application
The first time an application is created in an organization, an administrator must accept the ARTIK Cloud Terms and Conditions.
- Select "Your Applications" from the "Dashboard" menu. Click the "+ New Application" button.
- Fill in an application name and description. Note the characters
"are not allowed.
- Choose an OAuth2 grant type and a redirect URL. (See Authentication for more details.)
- Click "Save Application". This takes you to a detailed view of your applications.
- Set permissions for your application.
- Choose "Read" and/or "Write" permissions.
- You may also "Set Permissions for a Specific Device".
- Select a published device type from the pulldown that appears after clicking this option.
- Choose "Read" and/or "Write" permissions for the device type.
- Choose "Read" and/or "Write" permissions.
- Click "Save".
How to find your application ID
You will need your application ID (called a client ID in the Developer Dashboard) to use in API calls. Here's how to locate it.
- Click "Applications" in "Dashboard" menu to view your list of applications.
- Select the application from the list to the left.
- To the right, click "Show Client ID & Secret".
- The application ID is the string found next to "Client ID".
Creating a device type
Creating and publishing a device type makes it available to all developers that want to store data in ARTIK Cloud using a client of this device type.
The first time a device type is created in an organization, an administrator must accept the ARTIK Cloud Terms and Conditions.
- Select "Device Types" from the "Dashboard" menu. Click the "+ New Device Type" button.
- Enter a display name and unique name (a valid example is given) for your device type. Note the characters
"are not allowed.
- Click "Create Device Type." This takes you to a detailed view of your device types.
- Click "+ New Manifest" to enter Simple Manifest creation.
- Enter at least one field name, data type and unit. The characters
"are not allowed. The form auto-suggests standard fields and units as you type. You may also click the "Browse" links to see all the available options. Click "Save".
- Click the "Device Actions" tab to optionally add Actions the device type is capable of receiving. As with the device fields, the form auto-suggests standard Actions as you type, or you may click "Browse" to see the Actions that are already available. Click "Save".
- After you have entered all fields and Actions for your Simple Manifest, click the "Activate Manifest" button on the corresponding tab to enable your Simple Manifest.
Publishing a device type
Published device types must be associated with an organization. See Creating an organization.
- Once your device type has a Manifest, you may want to publish the device to make it available to all ARTIK Cloud developers. By default, it has a status of "private".
- To publish the device type, you must populate the Device Info page. Click the "Device Info" link to the left.
- Add a description and choose at least one category and tag. Click "Save Changes".
- You may now change the "private" status by clicking "Change" and selecting "Users of your applications" or "Everyone on the ARTIK Cloud platform".
- After clicking "Save Changes", the status is changed to "published".
If you upgrade to a paid plan, you must limit who can use the device type.
Updating a device type
- You can update your device type Manifest by clicking the "Manifest" link to the left.
- Click "+ New Version" to create a new Manifest.
- Alternatively, click the arrow icon to upload a JSON snippet that defines the fields and Actions.
- After updating, you will see a new Manifest version number and status for your device type.
Creating an organization
An organization is a way to manage billing, users, and metrics for your device types. When you first log in, you will not be a member of an organization. You must create your organization before publishing any device types.
- Select "My Organization" from the "Dashboard" menu. Click "+ New Organization".
- Fill in your company details and click "Save Changes".
As the sole user of your organization, you have an administrator role by default. In addition to managing payment information for the organization's pricing plan, administrators may invite users to join their organization with specific roles. If you do not plan to serve as an admin, another user invited to join the organization as an administrator can change your role later.
The applications and device types created by developers in your organization are made available to all members.
Managing your organization
As the organization grows, an administrator may invite more users to join the organization in one of four roles: administrator, developer, tester, and metrics.
The privileges for each role vary. Only administrators may change organization, billing, user, and pricing plan information. An administrator may grant more than one role to a user.
An ARTIK Cloud user can belong to one organization.
- Select "My Organization" from the "Dashboard" menu.
- Click "Manage Users" in the left-hand menu. Note: You must have an administrator role.
- Enter an email address, select a role, and click "Send Invitation".
- Once the user accepts the invitation in their email inbox, they will appear in the users table.
- You may change user role(s) in this table.
Changing your pricing plan
Your current pricing plan is displayed whenever you view one of your devices. The default plan is Hobbyist.
Depending on your organization, you may want to upgrade to a different plan. This page details the available pricing plans.
Each plan includes a number of free/trial devices. If your number of connected devices meets this requirement, you can upgrade your plan free of charge.
- Click the "Change" link and select a new plan from the pulldown menu.
- If the device type is currently available to "Everyone on the ARTIK Cloud platform", you will be prompted to limit the user base for the device type.
- Click the "Add payment info" button if this is your first time upgrading.
- Fill in and save your payment information.
- Click "Save Changes".
Inside My ARTIK Cloud
Our Hello, World! guide puts My ARTIK Cloud functionality into context.
Connecting a device
- Select "My ARTIK Cloud" from the ARTIK Cloud main site.
- If you already have connected devices, click "+ Connect another device…".
- In the box, start typing the name of your device.
- The available options will pop up. Select one.
- Click the "Connect Device…" button.
Read our blog to learn about My ARTIK Cloud's powerful Data Visualization feature.
Managing a device token
Click the name of a connected device in My ARTIK Cloud. A window like the following will appear.
Click "GENERATE DEVICE TOKEN…" to get a device token for this device. When you are ready to revoke the token, click "REVOKE TOKEN".
Creating a Rule
With this feature, you can create Rules for triggering device Actions based on the contents of ARTIK Cloud messages.
You define a Rule by selecting device fields and values, conditionals, and commands to send. The process looks like this:
- Select "Rules" from the "My ARTIK Cloud" menu or navigate directly to the Rules interface.
- This will take you to the Rule creation page.
- In the IF pane, select a device from your device list. This will bring up the fields defined in its Manifest.
- Now select a field to use.
- In the next dialog, choose a statement such as "is equal to" or "is more than", and then specify a value.
- In the THEN pane, select a device and a corresponding command. This may be a standard Action or a custom command you write in JSON.
- Click "Save Rule". Note the description auto-populates from your choices.
- You will be taken to your Rules dashboard. Here you can edit, clone, test, enable/disable and delete your Rules.
Read our blog post to learn more about Rules.